Social Security Professor
by on July 29, 2021  in Social Security /
0 Rating 35 Views 0 Likes 0 Comments

Social Security is here to help millions of people secure today and tomorrow by providing benefits and financial protection. We continue to protect the integrity of our disability programs by ensuring we make the correct decision on each claim. However, if you disagree with our decision on your claim, you can ask us to review your case by filing an appeal.

How can I appeal Social Security’s decision on my claim?

Generally, there are four appeal levels. If you are not satisfied with the decision at one level, you may appeal to the next. The appeal levels are:

  1. Reconsideration: A reconsideration is a complete review of your claim by someone who did not take part in the first decision. We will look at all the evidence submitted in the original determination, and any new evidence.
  2. Hearing: If you disagree with the decision we made at the reconsideration level, you may ask for a hearing. An administrative law judge, who had no part in the original decision or the reconsideration of your case, conducts the hearing.
  3. Appeals Council Review: If you disagree with the hearing decision, you can request a review by Social Security’s Appeals Council. The Appeals Council looks at all requests for review and can either make a decision on your case or return your case to the judge for further review.
  4. Federal Court Review: If you disagree with the Appeals Council’s decision or if the Appeals Council decides not to review your case, you can file a lawsuit in a federal district court as the last level in the appeals process.

Please visit our Appeal A Decision web page for more information.

When should I file my appeal?

If we denied your claim, you have 60 days from the date of the notice to file an appeal. The easiest and quickest way is to file your appeal request online, where you can submit associated documents electronically. You can also call your local Social Security office or 1-800-772-1213 to obtain the forms.

Do I need a representative to file an appeal?

Whether you choose to appoint an attorney or authorized representative is completely up to you. You may choose to have someone help you with your appeal or represent you. Your representative may be a lawyer or other qualified person familiar with you and the Social Security program. We will work with your representative just as we would work with you. They can act for you in most Social Security matters, and they will receive a copy of any decisions we make about your claim.

If you need us to review your case, please go online or call 1-800-772-1213.

By Dawn Bystry, Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Total votes: 0
Social Security Professor
Social Security Professor is the WealthCare Connect virtual instructor that provides members with educational Social Security content. All content is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute advice. Consult with a licensed professional before making any wealthcare decisions.
Be the first person to like this.

It will be interesting:

by on January 20, 2022
0 Rating 34 Views 0 likes 0 Comments
Read more
by on September 10, 2021
0 Rating 32 Views 0 likes 0 Comments
Read more
by on September 13, 2021
0 Rating 29 Views 0 likes 0 Comments
Read more